Thursday, February 21, 2013

Alla hjärtans dag (All hearts day aka Valentines Day)

There is no exact translation for Valentines Day in Swedish, so they cal it Alla hjärtans dag or All hearts day.  Ella and I love baking and doing crafts for every holiday.  Once again, Im the crazy American girl that goes overboard for every holiday.  Its only fun that way right?  Valentines Day is becoming more popular to celebrate over here, but kids don't do Valentines in the classroom for each kid, like we do in the US. 

A Valentines gift of tea from Kirsten that perfectly describes our relationship- I don't know what I would do without her! 
Friendship Tea:

1. Put the kettle on to boil.  
2. Warm your favorite teapot.  
3. Add two tablespoons of tea, one for you and one for me.  
4. Pour in boiling water, and while it brews, we'll talk:  
We'll talk about everything.  We'll talk about nothing.  Whatever you want to say, I'll listen.  Show me your secrets, your troubles, your joys, your profound thoughts, and silliest imaginings.  Tell me a piece of juicy gossip.  Or your theories on how to make the world a better place.  Share a new recipe or an old memory.  A brilliant idea or a stupid one.  Anything.  I'll be sad if you're sad, happy if you're happy.  I'll giggle with you or cry with you.  Burden me.  Enlighten me.  I hope we can continue our conversation for the rest of our lives.  
5. Stir and pour.  
6. Share.


Cupcakes that Ella and Kirsten and I made on a day off of school. "puss" means kiss in Swedish, and "kram" means hug.

 Ella and decorated Valentines Day gluten free cupcakes.



Another Valentines craft done by Ella and I.  We glued buttons on a canvas for a cute, Valentine picture of a heart. 

 Ella and I playing in my room.


Thank you mom and dad for the wonderful Valentines package! 

Thank you Kelly for sending the wonderful Dr. Seuss hats! Everyone knows what a big deal Dr. Seuss is in the US, but no one knows of him over here in Sweden.  I began explaining to the kids what he is, and how children eat green eggs and ham on Dr. Seuss' birthday in schools.  Kelly, my moms friend sent us some hats and the kids love them.  Ella didnt take hers off for like 3 days straight.  The books are wonderful for the kids for starting to learn English as well. 




Ella, Gabriel, and I in our cat in the hats! 

On Valentines Day, I was stopped at a red light, downtown Stockholm.  I looked up at the light and saw a heart instead of a circle.  So cute! It made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment