Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Midsommar

 Midsommar or midsummer, is the second largest celebration by Swedes following Christmas.  It is celebrated with closest friends and family and happens each year on a date on or close to summer solstice, the longest day of the year.  Let me just say that come June, I was definitely ready to celebrate some daylight too after all the darkness that Swedish winter put on us.  Midsommar is complete with a maypole, crowns made of wildflowers, snaps, music, dancing, singing, and the dreadful herring.  

Two celebrations happen on the eve of midsummer, Midsommarsafton.  There is the traditional main meal during the day, followed by many drinking songs and snaps.  When everyone has had just the right amount of snaps, the dancing begins around the maypole.  One is never too old to dance, sing and act like a baby or frog on this day in Sweden.  Then we lay low for a while until it is time for more celebration including a barbecue.  Midsommar is something everyone has to experience some day, and it is a tradition I am hoping to keep alive even after moving back to the states.

The building of the maypole by Andreas and Mårten.  Since I know you were thinking it, yes, those symbolize two balls on the phallic fertility pole.




Perfekt!


Elsa helping make the crowns from wildflowers.


Table, set and ready.




Ella and Sofia prancing around in their flower crowns.

 Smörgåsbord.


Champagne and snaps, I wish I could say this was the only alcohol I drank all day.

 Traditional Swedish cake with creme, meringue, and strawberries.

 The kids version of this delicious cake.

 After just enough snaps (on the adults behalf), the dancing began!



My first ever midsommar, but definitely not my last.


No comments:

Post a Comment