Thursday, December 5, 2013

Amsterdam, Netherlands

October 30- November 1

The end of October brought a quick 3 day trip to Amsterdam with Danielle, a friend from home who was visiting me in Stockholm.









The Anne Frank house was incredibly touching to see.  It was hard to believe that I was standing at the place where she had written her diary and where the two families had been taken from their own hiding place.



The house was filled with quotes out of Anne's diary.  
"I long to ride a bike, dance, whistle, look at the world, feel young and know that I'm free"
-Anne Frank December 24 1943






Danielle and I across from the Anne Frank house.


Canal tour through Amsterdam.


Typical Amsterdam weather, rain.

Right outside our hostel was the Van Gogh museum which was super interesting and the "I amsterdam" sign.


Rijksmuseum.


One of my all time favorite things to do in any European city, is wander the streets.  I love to people watch and absorb in the unique feeling that each city gives.


Art.



Amsterdam skinny bridge.





Walking in the bike lane is a more serious offense than anything else in Holland. Watch out! They do not stop for you.




My other favorite part of traveling, trying all the food!

Dutch pancakes, savory with salami and cheese, and sweet with cream and candied pears. Yum!


More from the canal tour.



Amsterdam by night.



Danielle and I had so much fun in Amsterdam.  Besides the Anne Frank house, Van Gogh museum, the canal tour, and eating Dutch pancakes, we walked through the red light district, tulip shops, flea markets, and met with our friend, Tessa, that was an exchange student at our high school many years ago.  Tessa, Danielle and I reminisced about high school and the dance team we were all a part of.  But it was more fun to talk about how we had all changed, and what we were doing currently in our lives.  One thing I have learned through all my travels is that people are not so different.  Yes, our buildings look different, yes we eat different food.  We may dress differently, but we all have the same problems, we all share the same values and we all strive for similar things in life, just to be happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment