Friday, November 2, 2012

The island of Lidingö

I technically live on Lidingö, a beautiful, quaint island that is connected by a bridge to the mainland of Stockholm and about a 20 minute drive from the city.  Lidingö's population is about 30,000 people.  This photo is on the same street as my house, a very peaceful but windy spot.

The weather has been raining, windy and cold! I am so happy I brought my rain boots and rain jacket.  If you wikipedia Lidingö, Sweden, one of the first things that comes up is "similar to that of Seattle, Washington, USA..." strictly because of weather I believe.  But it has been a beautiful fall here so far! 

This is more of the island, a nice place I like to go on a walk or run during the day while the kids are at skolan (school) and dagis (more like preschool).
The thing about Lidingö is that there are beautiful surprises around every corner.  My first week in Sweden I loved walking around the island (sometimes getting lost when I was only one block from my house) and exploring.  Many families have beautiful boats docked all over the island. 
Cruise ships are constantly parading back and forth between Stockholm, Finland and Estonia.  I am still surprised to see gigantic cruise ships right outside my window multiple times a day.

I have only driven a car three times in the three weeks of being here.  Usually I take public transportation, which consists of a 15 minute walk (though these trees, a grassy field, and the neighborhood) to the Lidingöbanan (an above ground small train).  Then I hop on the Tunnelbanan to head into the city.  This usually takes 45 minutes in total.  The thing about Swedish public transportation is that 1. It's always on time (or early) and 2. (just about) everyone takes it: young, old, rich, poor.



No comments:

Post a Comment